CLAPHAM PARISH CHURCH
St Thomas A Becket Church
The Parish Church of Clapham was rebuilt in 1861 of native limestone, with the exception of the tower, by the late Sir G. Gilbert Scott R.A. It consists of a chancel, nave, aisles, and a tower 81 feet high, without buttresses. The tower is reported to be one of the best and most remarkable of the remaining examples of Early Saxon work in the country. The tower houses 5 bells and was built over two date periods, and is surmounted by narrow semi-circular-headed deeply splayed openings. The West Front entrance is by a semi-circular-headed doorway, 4ft. wide, entirely destitute of moulding. The East Front entrance is via a plain semi-circular arch with abacus. The walls of the church taper from 5 foot at the base, in about 1630 the walls were embattled and a new roof erected, but this was replaced by another in 1897.There are five stained windows to the Dawson family, and a monument to Thomas Taylor esq.
Map of Clapham 1887
URSULA TAYLOR CHARITY
The Ursula Taylor Charity was founded in 1724 by Dame Ursula Taylor, wife of Sir Thomas Taylor of Clapham Manor. Rent from a field was to be used to apprentice children of the poor to a trade. Her legacy continues to this day. Grants are available for apprenticeships, college fees, textbooks, tools and protective clothing to residents of the village who are under 25 and in full time education or training. The Trustees of the Charity meet four times a year in February, April, July and November and further information and application forms are available from Mrs. Mavis Nicholson,
39, George Street, Clapham, MK41 6AZ
Tel. 01234 405141