Login
08 March 2011
Council Tax Frozen 2011-2012

 East Pallant House, 1 East Pallant, Chichester  PO19 1TY

Tel: 01243 534679          Email: jsteele@chichester.gov.uk

Date of Release: 04 March 2011                         Ref: 2846


Council tax is frozen for year ahead

Households in Chichester District will benefit from a council tax freeze for 2011/12.

A Full Council meeting of Chichester District Council decided it would prefer to freeze council tax, rather than increase it.

It means the cost of the council’s share for an average Band D taxpayer will stay at £133.24.

The government is encouraging councils to freeze council tax. Councils that do this will receive a grant amounting to 2.5% of the Council Tax. This would amount to £176,000 for the next four years.

Councillor John Cherry, Portfolio Holder for Resources at Chichester District Council, says: "This is good news for householders as we know times are hard for everyone. We have always kept our council tax increase as low as possible, and have had the lowest tax in the county for the past five years. We have already identified efficiency savings of over £3 million and we know that further savings amounting to around £1.6 million will need to be made. There will be some tough decisions, however, we are doing everything we can to deliver quality services and keep costs low."

Chichester District Council collects your council tax, but this money is then distributed to a number of public services. The council’s share amounts to 9%. This is equivalent to £2.56 per week, if you are a Band D taxpayer. Of the 91% remaining, 79% goes to West Sussex County Council, about 9% goes to the Sussex Police Authority and roughly 3% goes to local parish councils.

Council tax covers 58% of the council’s services, with the remaining 42% paid for by the government. There are more than 100 services in all. These include:

    • waste collection;
    • planning and building control;
    • leisure, sport and tourism;
    • licensing, housing and housing benefits; and,
    • car parking.

More details about Chichester District Council's budget can be found on our website at www.chichester.gov.uk



Ends

For further information, please contact Jo Steele,

Public Relations Assistant, on 01243 534679





________________________________________________________________________