11 February 2020Parish Council Vacancy
Make a difference in your community.
What do you think the future of Heddon on the Wall looks like? Do you want to be part of the team that creates that vision? Are you 18 or over? Are you looking for a great opportunity to develop or use your skills? A great addition to your CV.
We are looking for a new member for our Parish Council and welcome applications from our community.
Parish Councilors are volunteers who give up their time to try and make the Parish a better place to live and work. They have a range of powers and duties over local facilities and make decisions, which affect Parishioner’s everyday lives.The Parish Council meet monthly (on the evening every 2nd Wednesday of the month). You can get involved in local projects, research and local conversations which can support where you have skills or expertise or give you the opportunity to learn more.
What is the role of the Parish Council?
We are here for the local residents of Heddon on the Wall and support the provision of services and facilities . These range from recreation grounds and play areas, to libraries and allotments. There is a list of the activities that a Parish Council has the power to provide but we work in collaboration with other local volunteer groups and professional bodies to help make Heddon on the Wall a great place to live.
Want to apply or find out more?
Contact our Parish Clerk Louise Pringle at firstname.lastname@example.org or call on 01661 854583 who will explain more and send out an application form. Louise can also put you in touch with current Parish Counsellors if you would like an informal chat about the opportunity.
Applications will be accepted until close of play on Wednesday 4th March 2020. Successful applicants will be invited to a meet the current councilors and chat through the opportunity further.
The official bit!
- As there is no election imminent then a co-option procedure will be followed for this vacancy.
- Councilors are not paid and have to abide by a local government code of conduct.
- The Parish Council is a statutory body and therefore can only do the things for which the law gives a power.
- A copy of the good councilors Guide will be emailed to each potential applicant.
- Training is available and support will be found from colleagues and the Clerk to the Council.
- To be eligible for the post you must be a resident of Heddon on the Wall.
- The successful applicant will be the one who receives the majority of votes at a meeting 0f the parish Council, should there be a tie it may be necessary to repeat the process until a majority is reached.