Login
Get your free website from Spanglefish

07 March 2019Orford & District Surgery Trust - AGM

The 39th Annual General Meeting of the Orford & District Surgery Trust will be held on Thursday, 14th March, at 19.15, in Bart's Hall, Broad Street, Orford IP12 2NQ.

All are welcome to attend.

 

06 March 2019Encouraging progress for estuary campaign

The Estuary Partnership held a drop-in session at Snape Maltings on 27th February attended by well over 100 people to hear The East Suffolk Internal Drainage Board (ESIDB) presented their costs for the whole estuary upgrade scheme. The overall cost of £26.9 million includes a £5.1m contingency and covers some 44 kilometers of wall from Snape to Shingle Street, taking 7-8 years to complete. Costs are based on a design of an engineering and environmental standard, which is required to attract Government funding (Flood Defence Grant in Aid).  

The ESIDB, who are responsible for project managing the upgrade, have been advised that potentially £10.5million of Government funds could be applied for in view of the national assets in the Alde and Ore Estuary. These include Snape Maltings and a wealth of internationally recognised wildlife habitats and, in the lower part of the Estuary, extensive grazing marshes which provide fresh water to irrigate this nationally important vegetable growing area. However, there is no guarantee, even if the Environment Agency (EA) confirm eligibility for Government funding, that it will be allocated.  

With a local economy of over £100million per annum, there is a huge economic and environmental benefit to managing the estuary defences for at least another 30 years, making allowances for both climate change and sea level rise in the future. Detailed modelling by HR Wallingford (an independent flood risk consultant) has provided a robust model for the estuary since the 2013 surge and confirms that the works can be delivered in line with the Estuary Plan. This is a pioneering adaptive approach providing over-toppable but resilient defences which will give some 300 homes around the estuary a reduced risk of flooding.

Earlier this week there was a major boost to the campaign when the landowners and farmers had agreed a £3million fund and £1million in cash and pledges. They also agreed, having discussed the issue with The Estuary Partnership and Trust, to withdraw their plans for enabling development as a mechanism for fund-raising for flood defences in the estuary.  

The Alde & Ore Estuary Trust, the charity responsible for local fund-raising, is confident that they have identified how to raise the funds. Provided Government funding is achieved, it is anticipated that £16 million needs to be raised locally over the next 7 years, of which over £4million has already been secured. This will include local levy funding, Community Infrastructure Levy, parish precept, local donors, landowners, charities and Heritage Lottery Fund.  

Professor Jane Maxim, Trustee and Funding Group Chairman said “We are delighted that Garfield Weston Foundation has given us a grant of £500,000 of which £100,000 is for match funding. A further charity application will be made this spring, and we are now beginning to explore a Heritage Lottery Grant application for the lower estuary.  We are poised to raise considerable funds, but we will need further support, energy and commitment from the local community.” 

Amanda Bettinson

Partnership Secretary - Alde and Ore Estuary Partnership

06 March 2019Road repairs - advanced notice

From Suffolk Highways:

We will be carrying out road repairs along; Snape Road, Iken – From the junction with Tunstall Road. Sudbourne Road, Tunstall Sudbourne Road, Iken Snape Road, Sudbourne – To the junction with School Road, Subourne. This is necessary to improve the existing road surface and prepare for surface dressing taking place at a later date. The work is planned be completed between the period of 25th – 29th March 2019. Work will be carried out on site Monday to Friday from around 8:30 am until 3:30 pm each day.

The times and dates of works may change depending on the weather conditions. If they do change, we will let you know by updating the information signs on site. The road will be temporarily closed to through traffic for the duration of the works. Access to properties and businesses will be available but controlled by staff on site. Please speak to one of our staff who will provide access as soon as it is safe to do so. Access for emergency services will be maintained at all times. During the period of the closure, traffic will be diverted via Snape Road, B1084, B1078, B1069, Iken Cliff Road, Snape Road and vice versa. On street parking will be restricted to allow the repairs to be carried out unobstructed. These temporary traffic management measures are required to allow the works to be carried out safely and in accordance with current health and safety guidelines. Please see the information over the page for more details of how access to your property will be affected by the works, as well as other frequently asked questions. If you have any other questions about the work, please call us on: 0345 606 6171. Once we have completed the works, it would be helpful if you could take a few moments to complete a short survey at www.suffolk.gov.uk/suffolk-highways-survey. Your answers will help us improve our service in the future.

Yours faithfully,

Suffolk Highways

24 February 2019£4 million boost for estuary campaign

Landowners and farmers in the Alde and Ore estuary have raised a £3 million fund through the East Suffolk Internal Drainage Board towards upgrading work on the Alde and Ore Estuary plan. This is in addition to over £1 million in pledges and cash so far given to the Alde and Ore Estuary Trust by landowners and farmers, making a total of £4 million towards the project.

Chairman of the AOEP, Sir Edward Greenwell said: “Landowners have made a substantial contribution to support the fund-raising efforts for this important project.    Our aims are to improve flood protection for all the local residents, businesses and the environment - not just farming - so we have greater certainty about flood risk over the next few decades. For the next 28 years, landowners will be paying £115,000 per year, a clear long term commitment to the importance of this project.”

Money already raised by landowners will be spent on the flood defence works across the whole estuary. These funds will also act as match-funding, enabling the IDB to apply for central government funds and support the Estuary Trust in accessing funding from a wider range of sources.

Chairman of the Funding Group and Trustee of The Alde & Ore Estuary Trust, Professor Jane Maxim said: “The Trust would very much like to thank local landowners for the contribution they have already made and their pledges of further financial support.”

Landowners and farmers, in discussion with The Alde and Ore Estuary Partnership and Trust, have also decided to take enabling development off the table as a mechanism for fund-raising for flood defences in the estuary. Enabling development would have involved donations of small parcels of land from landowners and farmers, usually outside a village boundary, which might then have been given exceptional planning permission in order to raise funds for the project.

If you would like to find out more about The Alde & Ore Estuary project The Alde & Ore Estuary Partnership invite you to attend a public drop-in session on Wednesday 27th February 2019, 2pm – 8pm at Snape Maltings Trask Café.

A presentation will be given at 6pm in the Recital Room to update everyone on the cost of upgrading the estuary walls, projected income, both local fundraising and Environment Agency / Government contributions and the proposed programme of works. 

11 February 2019Flood defence minutes: Key Stakeholder Group meeting held on 17th January 2019 in Orford Town Hall

Flood defence Representatives present:  Colin Chamberlain, Iken PC, Ian Thornton, Chairman NOTT, David McGinity, Chairman Butley PC, Peter McGinity, Chairman Chillesford, Sue Snowdon, Richard Ayres Farnham & Stratford St Andrew, David Robinson Chairman Sudbourne PC, James Robinson, Orford and Gedgrave PC.

AOEP: Tim Beach Chairman, Edward Greenwell, Alison Andrews, Amanda Bettinson, David Kemp EA Karen Thomas and Giles Bloomfield IDB.

Tim Beach welcomed everyone and suggested that we discuss how best these meetings could work for the parishes.  The aim was to set up a Key Stakeholder Group meeting that could meet regularly to keep the parishes updated with the river wall upgrade project.

IDB Presentation

Karen Thomas discussed the background to the work that the Partnership had asked the IDB to cost and deliver.   She summarised the work to date, including the current costs which were considerably higher than previous estimates.   However, The Partnership has been advised that there is the possibility of increased Government funding than that originally anticipated, due to the national assets in the estuary.   This is not guaranteed however until the business cases are agreed by the Environment Agency which will not be until the autumn.   [At present the figures are still fluid and work is ongoing to finalise the whole scheme, costs and funding for the Community Meeting on 27th February.  Until then, the IDB is reluctant to detail any figures but full information on all schemes and costs will be available at the end of February and a report will be sent to parish councils]

The IDB were aiming to maximise the amount of FDGIA available for the estuary through more detailed economic appraisal by Risk and Policy Analysts which is now being discussed with EA.  Encouragingly, the EA seemed supportive of the RPA approach which appeared robust with conservative figures.

A full presentation will be given at the public meeting on Wednesday 27th February at Snape Maltings (Trask Café 2-8pm and a 6pm presentation in the Recital Room.)  The IDB are also preparing a summary presentation for PC leads to use within their Parish meetings and have offered to attend PC meetings where necessary and will be setting up meetings with all parishes to develop local engagement plans in the Spring.

Apart from the upgrading works in the Upper Estuary (Snape, Aldeburgh and Iken) which should start in early 2020 (consents and funding permitting) it is also hoped to start some limited works in Orford to raise low spots on an area from sailing club to the slipway.   It is hoped this will be funded (approx. £300k) out of the Andren legacy which is at present held by the Alde and Ore Association.

Funding

Edward Greenwell discussed funding as there was no one present from The Trust – although Risk and Policy Analysts advised there is a potential of £10million Grant in Aid funding, it cannot be guaranteed until confirmed by the EA.  There could also be local levy funding of £1.5million in addition to the £267K that was received for work at Snape in 2015.   CIL funding has been received by the Deben, and there will be discussions as to making applications for both the upper and lower estuary separately.   Applications are also being made to Foundations and charities and one has recently agreed a 6-figure sum.  

The farmers had committed to provide £5million.  They were already paying for a £3million public works loan taken out by the IDB to provide initial cash flow before The Estuary Trust had enough funds to pay grants for the work.

It was hoped that Enabling Development would provide substantial funds, as described in the Estuary Plan, and this had been supported by SCDC.   However, although objections had started from individual householders, objections widened to include AONB issues.   There had been an agreed moratorium on progressing any sites until November 2018 and although there remains support for ED, the landowners will be discussing this in February to agree a way forward.   Colin Chamberlain noted that Iken Parish Council would be happy to go ahead with development but thought some challenge to the ruling of no development under 5 metres should be taken up with the Planning Department.  Peter McGinity hoped there would be a more transparent process in the future.   In general, the meeting favored using ED as a last resort particularly if it was seen as a means to the end of achieving effective flood defenses and it would have much more support.   EG agreed to write to the parish councils with various proposals once they have been discussed with landowners in mid-February.

Questions and discussion points:

Parishes would like a written report to discuss at each parish meeting – KT to action

The breakdown for each council of the Orford/Sudbourne/Gedgrave flood cell was asked for – it was thought irrelevant to provide a breakdown as the whole area will flood if breached.

How climate change and erosion of hard sea defences affect the schemes dovetailed with the upgrade which was a hard defence.  KT agreed we need a balance of different options and alternatives to not doing anything.   The various consultations all concluded that locals wanted to maintain the estuary as it was for as long as possible.   Alison Andrews made the point that the plan, agreed in 2016, took into account sea level rise and isostatic balancing.

Managed realignments will be assessed in the modelling reviews which take place annually.   Hazelwood Marsh, now flooded, gives the upper estuary spill areas and the RSPB have made alterations to their flood cells on Havergate to allow for more frequent overtopping.   Boyton flood cell was also a potential area where some form of alignments could take place.

Peter Palmer asked about mitigation costs for protected species, which are considerable.  Giles Bloomfield explained about moving voles (1 returned 6 times – he knows this as they are marked with tippex each time they are moved!)

The meeting ended with a brief discussion that this group, to be called the Key Stakeholder Group should be expanded to include businesses and should meet every 2-3 months to keep everyone updated with progress.

There is a Community drop in meeting in the Trask Café at Snape Maltings on Wednesday 27th February 2-8pm when the costs and funding will be further defined and a presentation at 6pm in the Recital Room.  This is open to everyone.

01 February 2019Iken Parish Council Agenda for the Meeting of the Council to be held at 6pm on Thursday 7th February at Snape Village Hall

  1. PRESENT

 

  1. APOLOGIES

 

  1. COUNCILLORS DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

 

  1. MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING AND MATTERS ARISING

 

ITEMS FOR DISCUSSION

 

  1.  RIVER DEFENCES - Report on plans and AOEP/AOET meetings-CC

 

  1. LETTERS TO HOUSEHOLDS SURVEYED - NJ

 

  1. COUNCIL TAX LEVY - CC

 

  1. VILLAGE HALL

 

a)To note clearing of Brambles and Ivy

 

b) To note approach by a local architect to have permission to approach the Planning Dept.

 

ITEMS FOR INFORMATION ONLY (UNLESS DISCUSSION SPECIFICALLY REQUESTED)

 

To note position on:

  1. BROADBAND
  2. ROADS/POTHOLES
  3. NOTICE BOARD
  4. RESUSCITATION TRAINING SESSION MAY 16TH 5PM Hill Farm Office Courtesy Richard Mann

 

  1. PUBLIC FORUM

 

  1. TO NOTE PARISH COUNCIL ELECTIONS THURSDAY - MAY 3RD 2019

 

  1. DATE OF NEXT MEETING - Friday 17th May, AGM Iken Village Hall.

 

  1. FINISH TIME

 

   Norman Johnson. Chair Iken Parish Council 2 Feb 2019

30 January 2019Preparation of new Electoral Roll

Notice is hearby given that under the Church Representation Rules, a new Church Electoral Roll is being prepared. All persons who wish to have their names entered on the new Roll, whether their names are entered on the present Roll or not, are requested to apply for enrolment not later that 12th March 2019.

The new Roll will come into operation on 29th March 2019.

Please see two documents in the 'Documents for Viewing' option in the menu, left, relating to this matter - 'Preparation of new Electoral Roll' and 'Church Electoral Roll application form'. The latter can be printed off, filled in and sent to Mrs L Cooke (Church Electoral Roll Officer), Stanny House Farm, Iken IP12 2EY.

30 January 2019Notice of the Annual Parochial Church meeting

The Annual Parochial Church meeting will be held on 29th March at St Botolph's Church, Iken. See full document in 'Documents for Viewing' (left).

29 January 2019£1 million raised for the Save Our Suffolk Estuary campaign

On behalf of all the Trustees, I am delighted to report the New Year has begun with an incredible boost to our fundraising challenge. Following a successful application to the Garfield Weston Foundation (GWF), a family-founded grant making trust, a donation of £400,000 has been received, taking our fundraising total since the launch of our Save Our Suffolk Estuary campaign in 2017 to well over £1million.

With a further pledge of £100,000 as a match fund from GWF, providing a helpful impetus, we are highly optimistic that the estuary community will continue to support our fundraising this year to achieve this target and more.

The grant will be used to fund the work of the East Suffolk Internal Drainage Board, a non profit making organisation who have already received £185,000 from the Trust in 2018 and are working on the business case for the upper estuary (Aldeburgh, Snape and Iken flood cells) which will be submitted to the Environment Agency in April 2019. We anticipate that by the autumn, consents will have been agreed and environmental mitigation work will start in preparation for the full upgrading works to begin in early 2020. 

The Trust is also preparing other bids to foundations which should be ready to go in later this year. In addition, the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) will open their new funding programmes on 30th January when they launch their new Strategic Funding Framework for 2019 - 2024. The Trust is planning an application to the HLF, which is likely to take at least 18 months to prepare.

The operating costs of the Trust remain very closely monitored. A recent study by Channel Four's FactCheck calculated between 60p and 70p of each £1 donated to charities goes on charitable activities; that is fulfilling the duties or services that the charity exists to provide. We are therefore very proud to confirm that during 2018, over 80p of every £1 raised went directly towards our charitable cause of upgrading the estuary's river walls and also that we are able to demonstrate our cost effectiveness as a charity.

The financial benefit of reclaiming tax on donations is crucial and we are also finalising our Gift Aid claim to HMRC for a further fundraising boost. 

Finally, inclusive, community-led fundraising events are being planned throughout this year, including a repeat of the hugely successful Big Suffolk Quiz and our first ever flotilla. Please do get involved if you can.

Jane Maxim
Trustee, The Alde & Ore Estuary Trust

29 January 2019Minutes of the Meeting of the Council held on Friday 9th November at Snape Village Hall commencing at 5pm

PRESENT

Cllrs Dr Norman Johnson, Loulou Cook, Sir Thomas Hughes Hallett, Colin Chamberlain, Clerk Lorraine Lloyd

In attendance: Karen Thomas, Partnership and Strategy Manager, East Suffolk IDB, Alison Andrews AOEP, David Kemp, Environment Agency, David and Sue Spindler, Jill Cadzow, Jonathan Rutherford, Annabel Chamberlain, Lynnette Morton Christine Ridsdale.

APOLOGIES

Hugh Waterer, Kate Kilburn, Shaun Fitzgerald, Lady Katherine Gieve, Richard and Sue Ash, Andrew and Celia Bell, Chris Keeble, Robert Gillespie, Jane Marsden and Jane Maxim.

The Chairman reminded the council that in two days’ time it was the 100th anniversary of the end of the First World War and that it would be appropriate to stand whilst he read out the names of Iken’s fallen in Remembrance:

Reginald Button                                                    

Sidney Button                                       

William Button                                                      

Henry Hill                                                

Frederick Miller                                                    

William Markham

De Lacey Parrett                                

Frederick Tricker                                

Frank Whayman               

Lionel Wilkinson

COUNCILLORS DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

All have an interest in the river walls.

MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING AND MATTERS ARISING

The Minutes had been previously distributed and it was agreed they were a true record.  They were duly signed and dated by the Chairman.

CO-OPTION OF COUNCILLOR

Katharine Kilburn had responded to the request for the co-option of a Councillor caused by the resignation of Richard Mann. Colin Chamberlain proposed and Sir Tom Hughes-Hallett seconded that Katharine be elected to the Parish Council. She was duly elected.

CURRENT POSITION ON WORK TO RIVER WALLS

Karen Thomas of East Suffolk IDB took the floor to explain the position of the river wall improvements that are being planned.  We were advised that the estuary modelling had set out the order in which the walls need to be improved. If walls are improved first at Snape village and Aldeburgh then that might put some properties in Iken at a temporary increased flood risk while the work was going on.

In order to avoid increasing anyone in Iken’s flood risk - even temporarily - the IDB had explored doing the work across the whole of the Upper Estuary defences simultaneously over three years so everybody’s flood risk would stay the same.  Iken would now have work being started sooner at the same time as Snape and Aldeburgh. 

Karen went on to say that they were now hoping to proceed on that basis with a business plan for the upper estuary first then the lower estuary.  They were working on a business case to share more fully with the AOEP before Christmas. 

Working with Risk and Policy Analysts the IDB have identified significant wider economic benefits in the estuary which can support grant applications for greater government funding.  It is possible wall improvement costs might be greater than originally forecast but it is hoped to have more funding available so the local partnership funding doesn’t change too much. 

In addition, in order to properly involve communities in the plans and works proposed, individual engagement plans would be needed; Iken will be done first.  A template of that plan should be available next time we meet in February and Karen is keen to involve local people in the engagement planning so it’s fit for their needs.  The fundamentals are around clay, timings, designs, what it is going to look like etc.  A program will be available then and we will be able to see the timeline.

The property surveys in Iken undertaken by the IDB will not now be needed, but will be shared with the relevant home owners for their information. Karen advised that surveys had been done and paid for so those property owners may as well have them. Properties will get two sides of an A4 sheet of paper which will explain the risk – this will be sent only to the owners of the properties surveyed.  No one is now facing any negative changes to flood risk.

It was agreed that this was all good news for the village. 

It was asked how long the next meeting would be and whether we needed to look at a larger venue. It will be known by Christmas when the business plan will be ready. 

Clay wise not a great deal has changed. The IDB are still being investigated by the EA.  Everything the EA has asked for had been provided and the plan had gone through the local team up to a national review team. 

Different waste license specialists had been approached and IDB were working with the most likely company.  Permits and licensing will be discussed with EA to ensure future applications meet their requirements under the Waste Regulations. 

Nothing is going to happen in 2019 (re movement of clay). It has to go through quite a detailed review.  The earliest clay work is likely to be 2020 if sanctioned by EA. A variety of ways to minimise clay coming into Iken had been researched.  It was thought they can use less clay than initially thought needed.  Next time we meet we can talk about that. 

It was asked if there had been a survey to see whether we had enough clay already on the landowners’ farms.  Karen explained that they might need to take clay out of farms who already had clay.  Discussions were on-going. 

Permits – once you have a plan to improve the walls where does the delivery change from waste management licencing to building materials?  Karen explained re the donor and recipient sites and what is needed to transfer materials between the two.  If it is waste it is always going to be slightly more expensive.  There were a lot of factors to be considered in the waste process.  They were exploring all the different options. 

On the Business Case application for FDGIA - the partnership funding element of the costs has to be pledged so that all the money is available before work starts.  What is done in the upper estuary doesn’t affect the lower estuary.  Everything can’t be done at once.  They had moved away from flood cell by flood cell approach to maximise transfer of FDGIA between flood cells and have had agreement in principle from EA and NE that they can proceed with the upper estuary. 

A question raised was that we keep being told by large donors that they are not going to give until they see a plan. Karen said they are going to talk to people to ask what they want and were considering an abbreviated summary – a compelling narrative - to give investors some clarity.  There will be an Estuary Partnership meeting in the New Year with the slimmed down version. 

David Kemp explained that they were originally looking at a cell by cell approach but now they are looking at something much larger.  It means they only have to apply twice (upper and lower estuary business cases) rather than 10 times so approval should in theory come sooner, but these are complex business cases which may need longer review periods before funding can be approved. 

Thanks were extended to Karen for her excellent explanation.  Sue Spindler handed Karen her ASIS strategy and this was discussed. 

Alison Andrews of AOET had thought they had raised enough funding to start.  The Maltings had done quite a lot of work already so could probably start sooner.  It was asked if there a plan to relaunch the funding.  Alison responded that there were a series of waves to get to groups of people.  There was a discussion as to how funding was getting on.  

PRECEPT INCREASE TO AID RIVER WALL FUNDING

Colin Chamberlain explained that he had written to Hilary Slater to ask if the Parish Council may increase the Parish Precept without reliance on the Statutory Power of Competence in Part 1 of the Localism Act 2001.  He had received an email from her that evening saying that we would be breaching the Act if we did so.  It was asked if we going to try to obtain Part 1 Localism Act 2011 and, following discussion, it was decided we were not.  We cannot therefore impose a rise in precept. 

It was proposed by Sir Tom Hughes-Hallett and seconded by Loulou Cook that Colin should put in an application for £1350 precept the same as last year.

Items for information

Norman Johnson apologised that the defibrillator training didn’t take place.  It will be rearranged.

A verbal estimate of £200 had been received to remove the vegetation around and on the village hall.  This was unanimously approved.

There had been no further news on the Broadband. Loulou said Frambroadband had visited the church to investigate the use of the tower but she had heard no more. She also said that BT had laid a conduit around the village. Loulou phoned and was told that they were just laying casing. Norman Johnson will contact Frambroadband again.

Roads/Potholes – Colin said that Andrew Reid had said the roads were quite good. It was agreed no further action was required at present.

Leiston Citizens Advice had written requesting a donation.  It was agreed that we could not specifically give to them.

PUBLIC FORUM

Annabel Chamberlain was thanked for helping with a problem with water main.

DATE OF NEXT MEETING - 6pm, 7th February 2019 at Snape Village Hall Committee Room.

FINISH TIME - 6.10pm

29 January 2019CARDIOPULMONARY RESUSCITATION SESSION

Iken Parish Council invites you to a training session on cardiopulmonary resuscitation at the Farm Office, Hill Farm Iken, at 5pm, Thursday May 16th, courtesy of Mr Richard Mann.

This session is for newcomers to CPR or those wishing to revisit their skills. It will train you on the use of the Iken Parish Defibrillator based in the green cabinet at Hill Farm.

Training will be carried out by Carl Carrington, Community Partnerships Training Officer (Suffolk/South Cambridgeshire Ambulance Service).

Please email Lorraine Lloyd at lorrainelloyd@uwclub.net if you wish to attend so that numbers can be planned for.

Dr Norman Johnson - Chair IPC

View All Stories




Click for Map WikanikoWork from Home
site map | cookie policy | privacy policy