08 February 2019ACTION FRAUD
Fraud is wrongful or criminal deception intended to cause you financial loss or cause another personal to have some sort of personal gain.
Fraud comes in many forms but you can take some simple steps to protect yourself from becoming a victim.
1. Do not give any personal information (name, address, bank details e-mail or phone number) without being sure that they are a credible organisation or person.
2. Never send information via e-mail or in answer to an e-mail. Banks and other financial institutions will not send you an e-mail asking for information. This will be a Phishing e-mail (where they e-mail and see who responds) and will be someone attempting to steal your identity.
3. Any paperwork such as receipts or bank statements, make sure you shred prior to throwing them away so no one can copy or take the information on it.
4. If you receive bills, invoices, or receipts for things you haven’t bought taken action. It may be that your identity has been stolen.
5. If you need advice about fraud, call Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 to discuss your situation with one of their specialist fraud advisers.