Shipton by Beningbrough is a small village located on the A19 trunk road between York and Easingwold. The village was originally named Hipton after the briar scrub land of what became part of the Royal Forest of Galtres and was first mentitoned in the Domesday survey of 1086. Between 1700 and 1900 the village was then part of Beningbrough estate but that was ultimately sold in lots leading to the formation of the village as it is today.
Historically Shipton by Beningbrough has been a predominantly farming village, but more recently it has developed a variety of significant business interests. There is a lively pub (the Dawnay Arms), an active and well equipped Community Centre, a County standard bowling green, a children's play area and a sports field.
The village is supported by the Anglican Church of the Holy Evangelists. The Church was built by the Dawnay family in the mid-1800s and included a vicarage which is now in use as a nursing home.
The village also enjoys the benefit of having the thriving Forest of Galtres Anglican Methodist Primary School: this is the only Anglican Methodist School in North Yorkshire.
The village is a happy and friendly community, with many pleasures and advantages for those living here. We hope that you will find this website useful.