About the Parish Council

What is a Councillor?

Councillors are elected to represent an individual geographic unit on the Council, known as a ward or - mainly in smaller parishes - the entire parish or town council area. They are generally elected by the public every four years.

What do Councillors do?

Councillors have three main components to their work:-

Decision Making - through meetings and attending committees with other elected members, councillors decide which activities to support, where money should be spent, what services should be delivered and what policies should be implemented.

Monitoring - Councillors make sure that their decisions lead to efficient and effective services by keeping an eye on how well things are working.

Getting involved locally - as local representatives, councillors have responsibilities towards their constituents and local organisations. These responsibilities and duties often depend on what the councillor wants to achieve and how much time is available, and may include:-

  • going to meetings of local organisations such as tenants' associations
  • going to meetings of bodies affecting the wider community
  • taking up issues on behalf of members of the public
  • running a surgery for residents to bring up issues
  • meeting with individual residents in their own homes

Visiting your council is the best way to find out what happens there. Give the council a call and find out when its next public meeting happens. by law, ordinary people are allowed to be present at most council business.

What Services can a Parish Council Provide?

A Parish Council might provide and/or maintain some or all of the following services:-

  • allotments
  • burial grounds
  • community transport schemes
  • bus shelters
  • crime reduction measures
  • leisure facilities
  • bridleways

A Parish Council can also work with the Borough Council and the County Council to provide other services:-

  • litter bins
  • street cleaning
  • local youth projects
  • street lighting
  • open spaces
  • tourism activities
  • planning
  • Village greens
  • traffic calming measures

Am I Qualified to be a Councillor?

Most people are; however there are a few rules:-

You have to be:-

  • a British subject, or a citizen of the Commonwealth or the European Union and
  • On a "relevant date" be 18 years or over (ie the day of which you are nominated if there is a poll the day of the election)
  • on the "relevant day" a local government elector for the council area for which you want to stand or
  • having during the whole of the 12 months preceding that day, occupied as owner or tenant, any land or other premises in the council area or
  • having during that same period had your principle or only place of work in the council area or
  • during that 12 month period, resided in the local area

In the case of a sitting member of a parish or community council, you can also satisfy the criteria to be elected if you have lived in the council area or within 3 miles of it for the whole of the 12 months preceding the "relevant day".

You cannot stand for election if you:-

  • are subject of a bankruptcy restriction order or interim order
  • have within 5 years before the day of the election, been convicted in the United Kingdom of any offence and have had a sentence of imprisonment (whether suspended or not) for a period of over three months without the option of a fine
  • you work for the council you want to become a councillor for (but you can work for other local authorities, including the principal authorities that represent the area)

Election Procedure

Ordinary elections of local councillors take place on the first Thursday in May every four years. For most local councils, election years are 2003, 2007, etc, but where the principal authority (county, district and unitary authority) councillor is elected in some other year that is also the year of the local council election. Reorganisation of local government may cause alteration of the Election Day and election year in some cases.

Nomination Process

A prospective candidate must deliver or send by post to the Returning Office a valid nomination paper. This form is obtained from the Officer. The candidate's surname, forename, residence and description (if required) must be entered and his or her number and prefix letter from the current register of electors. The Returning Officer has a copy of this register, and the clerk of the local council normally has one.

The nomination paper must also contain similar particulars of a proposer and a seconder. They must be electors for the area for which the candidate seeks election (ie the parish, community or town or the ward if it is divided into wards); they must sign it.

What Next?

The Returning Officer appointed by principal authority (district, borough, county or unitary authority) is the person responsible for the conduct and arrangement for community, parish and town council elections. If you are considering becoming a candidate for election it could be wise to contact the Returning Officer to obtain any more details information. Also for more information about what life is like as a councillor contact your local County Association of Local Councils or alternatively your local community, parish or town council.


If a seat becomes vacant mid-term (or if there are not enough candidates to fill all council seats at election time) the council will hold a by-election.

In certain circumstances, the council may then co-opt members to the council.

Some of this information has been taken from the National Association of Local Councils' website

sitemap | cookie policy | privacy policy | accessibility statement